History of Palmer
Palmer Distribution Services, Inc. was started in the mid-1960s by Frank Rifeschlagger as a public warehouse and trucking company servicing the grocery and chemical industry in Houston, TX. The name comes from a street where the first warehouses were located. After the founder passed away, the trust enlisted Hermann Services, Inc., a New Jersey based warehouse and transportation provider since 1927, to provide contract management of the operation in 1982. William Hermann, a third generation leader of Hermann Services, successfully revitalized Palmer’s operations through some challenging economic times during the 1980s. In 1988, Hermann Services acquired Palmer as part of an effort to expand its operations regionally. The Palmer name was retained for the next 9 years until 1997, when the division was renamed Hermann Warehouse Southwest. This name was short-lived as our CEO, William Hermann, made the decision to divest the division from Hermann Services in 2000. The Palmer name was restored at this time with a slight change to our current trade name of Palmer Logistics.
Today, Palmer Logistics is a successful regional provider based on the fundamental philosophies that have enabled the Hermann family’s success for four generations: reliability,customer service and uncompromising integrity. William Hermann remains our CEO and his son Brett Mears, is running the daily operations as our President.
We meet the requirements of our customers through an ISO certified quality management system. This system ensures total customer satisfaction through a process of improvement. Analysis of our annual Quality Assurance Report documents our proficiency in meeting our customers’ needs. We improve upon the process continually.
Certifications: ISO 9001:2015, AIB, NACD, NVBDC – VOB
International Standards Organization (ISO) helps companies demonstrate consistent service through a documented quality management system to meet customer requirements as well as ensuring conformity to standards and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements. Palmer has been ISO certified since 1994. ISO 9001 is a benchmark that assures Palmer has an approved Quality Management System committed to constant review and improvement. Our customers benefit from:
- Lower costs through greater efficiency
- More control of your product
- Fewer initial and repeated errors through a program of Preventative and Corrective Actions
- Greater levels of customer satisfaction – “Guaranteed” Service
AIB – American Institute of Baking – Regulates Food Storage
- Certified since 2001
- Scores out of a possible 1,000 for 2021 Audits:
- 1100 S. FM 565– 1000
- 4033 Malone – 905
- 4505 Ameriport – 980
- Lathrop Street – 930
- Pest control and maintenance programs also AIB approved
NACD – National Association of Chemical Distributors – Regulates Chemical Storage
- Certified since 2012
- Ensures proper and responsible chemical storage
- Verifies Safety and Security measures used in storing chemicals
NVBDC – VOB – National Veteran Business Development Council – Veteran Owned Business
- Certified since 2019
- Verifies that Fifty-one percent ownership by a Veteran or Veterans (Brett Mears, the President served our country in the US Navy from 1994-1999)
Provide the ideal level of value to each of our clients in order to be the premier third party warehouse in each region of operation.
To be a great company that empowers its employees to maximize their God-given talents for their own betterment, and to provide our customers with exceptional solutions to their supply chain requirements.
To provide exceptional service through responsible Associates – A reputation above reproach
Health and Safety Policy
To provide an injury free workplace through responsible associates promoting a safe and healthy lifestyle
To make sound business decisions that promote a sustainable environment with minimal impact on the surrounding community
To provide a secure workplace, which minimizes potential threats and ensures the safety of our employees, the integrity of our customer’s product, and preserves company property
Good Manufacturing Practices Policy
Palmer shall adhere to Good Manufacturing Practices through pest and quality controls, documentation, and risk assessment in order to protect the integrity of customer product, reduce errors and damage; ultimately ensuring the safety of the general public
Human Trafficking Statement
Palmer Logistics is committed to combating human trafficking and the commercial exploitation of children by creating a culture of awareness
Palmers Core Values
Service – the action of helping or doing work for someone.
- We have a job because our customers have asked us to assist them with their distribution needs
- Always be helpful to others (customers, co-workers, suppliers, carriers)
- Demonstrate a service mentality by actions, not words
- Return communications in a timely manner
Trust – firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something.
- Our customers choose us, and remain with us, over our competition because they trust us. We must honor this trust and perform at a level that constantly reinforces this trust
- Our employees are dedicated, committed, and productive because they trust leadership will recognize and reward their efforts
- With trust comes a responsibility to perform reliably and with integrity, at all times
Integrity – the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
- Do the right thing always, even when others are not observing
- Always be professional and be accountable for our actions, communications (oral & written), and attitude
- Demonstrate great character, personally and professionally
Respect – a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
- Treat others (customers, co-workers, suppliers, carriers) as we would like to be treated
- Establish a reputation for excellence, both individually and collectively
- Treat company resources as if they were your own
Our internal processes and employees are the backbones to our exceptional service.
- ISO – International Organization for Standardization
- AIB – American Institute of Baking
- NACD – National Association of Chemical Distributors
- IWLA – International Warehouse Logistics Association
- TWA – Texas Warehouse Association
- AWI – Associated Warehouses Inc
- NVBDC – National Veteran Business Development Council
- Pioneer Freight is our Preferred Carrier
- Palisades Logistics
- Palmer in the News